Monday, November 12, 2012

The Eating Plan

Well it's been a busy week of recommended reading. I have been looking over the  Canada Food Guide and the D.A.S.H. Eating plan, perused the MayoClinic site and the Rodale News. All seem to have different approaches to the same problem. So I have glean the best parts to create my own low-sodium menu plan.
Basically it breaks down to the following:

EAT DAILY
3X a WEEK
1X a WEEK
0X a WEEK
  • fruit
  • whole grains
  • leafy greens
  • water
  • oily fish
  • yogurt
  • broccoli
  • legumes
  • betacarotene veg
  • lycopene veg
  • red meat
  • pasta / rice
  • eggs
  • dessert
  • alcohol
  • fast food
  • soda pop
  • processed meals
  • canned soup
  • diet anything

I am pretty good at eating my veggies but have to admit a bit lacking in the fruit dept. I rarely buy any and only if on sale. I suppose being a lifelong “salty” I don't have much of a “sweet-tooth”. I am going to make an effort to have fruit available in-house for baking and snacks. The pro side of it is that many fruits have high levels of potassium which is essential for good health, and high amounts in a diet can counteract some of sodium's effect on my blood pressure levels. So I must make this an everyday habit.

Whole grains, on the other hand, I have no problem with. I love my carbs! The only thing to keep in mind is to eat unprocessed whole grains which are more complex, while most processed and refined ones are seasoned with salt to improve their taste. Starches, like pasta and rice, I will cut down to once a week to help with my glycemic load to prevent any onset of diabetes.
The biggest blow for me will be bread. I BREAD. Not the white pappy Wonder-stuff but the dense multigrained varieties... rye, pumpernickel, ancient grains, whole-wheat. Who would have thought a baked loaf is loaded with sodium?

Vegetables will have to be my daily powerhouse as I am used to having a full belly. Most veggies are not calorie-dense per volume and low in sodium. So that means I can eat as much as I choose and fill my belly. A variety of green, orange, and red vegetables should provide me with all the necessary vitamins and minerals. With the prospect of no canned soups available, I see lots of homemade veggie soups and chilis in my future.

In the protein dept., I need to up the ante and eat more selective portions. With no deli and cured meats available to make sandwiches for the lunchbag, I will need to roast my own lean meats and slice it to keep tabs on the salt, fat, and cholesterol. Fish and poultry protein will be more the standard, with at least some legumes for meatless meal options. Eggs, I will reserve for baking.

Not a milk drinker either, though I use skim milk dry milk powder in my baking. Most of my dairy has been in the form of cheese, which is now off the menu since it is very high in sodium. (Man, I could kill for a grilled cheese sandwich right now).
I will save my high-end sodium allotment and reserve any cheese-tasting for my once-a-month “treat” to make it count.
So that leaves plain low-fat yogurt as my calcium and dairy choice. Yogurt is ideal for making homemade salad dressings for my veggie plate, as commercial dressings are high in sodium and fats.
Speaking of fats, Becel® Saltfree is now my go-to margarine. It is good for eating and baking.

Last but not least, is to cut back to one alcohol drink a week. No one said it couldn't be a big one.

So that's the eating plan. Now to go grocery shopping... (p.s. my most-dreaded chore!)





No comments:

Post a Comment

You may private message me at: donjoemorin@yahoo.ca
Please put "Sodium Diary" in the email header.